It was a tragic Tuesday morning on the 28th of June as eight people ended up with injury after a hand grenade exploded on the front porch of Movida Bar and Lounge in IOI Boulevard, Puchong at 2.30am. The injured patrons were at the bar watching a Euro 2016 football match when the incident happened.
A week after the unfortunate incident, the police have confirmed that the grenade attack was carried out by Islamic State (IS) militants. This piece of news was revealed by Malaysia’s Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar. He also said the attack carried out by two men last Tuesday at the nightspot was the first strike by the terror group in the country.
The two were arrested on Friday at a factory in Klang where they worked. “They were receiving instructions directly from known IS militant Muhamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi from Syria. The club was attacked as it was deemed an un-Islamic establishment,” he told a press conference at Bukit Aman yesterday.
The explosion shattered the perimeter glass panel, causing shrapnel to hit patrons. The two men escaped on their motorcycle after carrying out the attack. The authorities did speculate that IS could have been responsible, but there was lack of evidence that could back the story. Khalid warned that the attack in Puchong could be the first of a series of attacks planned by the terror group.
Besides the two attackers, the IGP said 13 other IS-linked suspects had been arrested since the day of the attack. He also said those arrested had been recruited and given instructions through social media. Khalid urged nightspots and other outlets to be vigilant due to possible threats from IS. “Try to make sure that it is not so easy to enter, and please adhere to the operating hours as stipulated,” he added.
Source: The Star
[Header image via]