, - on 19/8/09
It’s been a while since our shelves have seen a quality mix from a New York master, and it is legendary House music label Nervous NY that has come through with the goods. The selector – none other that Danny Krivit.
Danny is one of New York’s most celebrated DJ’s and producers, with a career spanning as far back as the mid 70’s, Danny has had DJ spots in institutions like The Loft or The Paradise Garage and residencies at New York’s most famous clubs. As a part of the highly regarded Body & Soul collective with Francois K and Joe Claussell, Danny has played the world over to crowds as large as 20,000, released over 200 records, VJ’d and even edited records for James Brown.
In a world obsessed with genre, sub-genre, what’s new and what’s in fashion, Danny Krivit is one of those calming influences who can remind us both where this music comes from and how good records sound, good. As Europe darts around techno, minimal, tech-house and so on, the House music vibe in New York has remained almost unscathed. They know that they got it right, they have a good thing, and when you have a good thing – where is the need to change it?
The mix opens with a soulful gem from 1994, ‘U know That I Love U’, a slice of gorgeous Garage that eases us into the bright, summery side of Krivit’s record collection. London’s Phil Asher AKA Restless Soul continues the soulful groove through to the bumpier instrumental of ‘Spread Love’ by The Freddy Turner Project. Teddy Douglas’ Basement Boys vibe ‘God Created Women’ pumps the spiritual soulful house vibes, followed by Jazzy Jeff’s 2009 bomb ‘House Of Tribe’.
US Garage stalwarts Kings Of Tomorrow open the second half of the mix with their sultry 2005 number ‘Another Day’, followed by the keys of Roy Ayres and the raw old skool beats of Earth People. Joe Claussell’s carnival vibes blast through the mix before Krivit delivers one of his 70’s disco-soul weapons, B.T. Express’ dance floor monster ‘Peace Pipe’. The mix concludes with the NY spiritual house sounds of Kim English and Louie Vega, finishing on the pure old skool positivity of UBQ project’s ‘We Can Make It’.
It’s a lovely mix that reminds me (personally) of why I got so into this music in the first place. Pure positivity. Soulful and spiritual, House music made by real musicians, with instruments in their hands and tunes in their heads. This is a mix that will leave you lost in song, a smile on your face – and your worries in yesterday’s news. Things are going to be OK. This is Howze music!
Tracklisting:Danny Krivit - 718 Sessions
01. Chyna with Perfect World – U Know That I Love U
02. Shake The Dog feat Monique Bingham – Run (Phil Asher Remix)
03. The Freddy Turner Project Featuring The Three Kings – Spread Love (DK Edit)
04. Steal Vibe feat Alexis Simmons – Selene (The Goddess Of The Moon)
05. Teddy Douglas feat Margaret Grace – God Created Woman (Alt Mix)
06. Jazzy Jeff – House of Tribe
07. Kings of Tomorrow – Another Day
08. Roy Ayers – Brand New Feeling (Sting International Conroversy Mix)
09. Earth People – Dance (Beats)
10. Joaquin Joe Claussell presents The Lower East Side Pipes – Disorganized Corruption
11. BT Express – Peace Pipe
12. Kim English – Nothing’s Impossible
13. Louie Vega feat Sara Devine – That's What Love Is
14. UBQ Project – We Can Make It
Nervous Records will release Danny Krivit's 718 Sessions on September 22nd, 2009.
start selling tickets with ease
start sharing your music for free